What many people do not realize is that pests such as rats impose health risk on us. They creep in different places carrying various diseases and bacteria. As a matter of fact, rats and mice are known to spread more than thirty-five diseases. These diseases may spread directly to the human body by having a contact with its urine, feces, bites, and more. Here are some of the diseases carried by these pests.
– This virus is carried by deer mice, white-footed mice, rice rats, and cotton rats. It spreads when an individual made a contact with the rat’s feces and urine. This virus can be very fatal, in fact, an infection with Hantavirus may progress to HPS or Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. HPS is a severe respiratory disease which may show early symptoms such as fatigue, fever, muscle aches, headaches and more. As of now, there is no specific treatment for this virus infection.
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis (LCM)
– LCM is a disease from a common house mouse. The transmission of this infection can occur when an individual has exposed an infected rodent’s fresh saliva, urine, droppings, or nesting materials. This disease has two phases but unlike Hantavirus LCM is not fatal.
– This disease spread to an individual when bitten by an infected rodent flea or by touching an animal infected by the plague. This is a very serious illness which treated with antibiotics.
Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
– is a virus by a striped field mouse, Norway rat, bank vole, a yellow-necked field mouse. This disease spreads when an individual makes a direct contact with the rodent’s urine and droppings. This disease may spread via direct contact from person to person.
– These bacteria spread when a food or drinking water contaminates by urine from infected animals. This can also spread by having a contact with skin with open wounds. When this disease is left untreated, it may damage the kidney, liver, or worst may lead to death. Leptospirosis is treated with antibiotics like doxycycline or penicillin.
– An individual bitten by an infected rodent may get RBF. This infectious disease can be fatal and serious. Without treatment, RBF may result in an infection that involves the heart, brains, lungs, and internal organs. It treated with antibiotics such as penicillin.
– This disease can spread by eating or drinking food and water contaminated by rat feces. This disease may cause dehydration, therefore, the treatment for this focuses on replacing the fluids and electrolytes in the body. But for severe cases, antibiotics may used.
These are just some of the diseases carried by rats and rodents. If you are having trouble with these pests and happen to be looking for Miami pest control, just contact East Coast Pest Control. We are the best pest control Miami. We will handle all your pest control needs including rodent control fort Lauderdale, termite treatment fort Lauderdale fl, bed bug exterminator fort Lauderdale, and more.